Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
80950members
347109posts

Smart UPS self-test fail

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Smart UPS self-test fail

This question was originally posted by harry on APC forums on 8/24/2016

Hi,

I have a model SUA3000RMI2U UPS and it reported that one of the battery failed during the self-test

However, after 2 weeks, it did another self-test and it reported everything ok, even the red LED for battery is gone

Do I still need to change battery for that?

Tags (2)

Accepted Solutions
MarkC_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

Re: Smart UPS self-test fail

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/25/2016

Depends - if your backup is very critical (industrial data) - replace all batteries with new.  If it is personal use and you can learn how to calibrate and load test the batteries on a periodic basis - find the weak battery and replace it.  You might get another year or two from the remaining batteries.  I do this frequently - especially on these units as the batteries are easy to access and replace.  On the SMX units - no so much!!  Learn battery handling safety - no rings and use the thin neoprene gloves.  

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
MarkC_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/24/2016

My experience with the SUA/SU RM models are that one "weak" battery (you have four in series with 2 parallel sets - total of 😎 will often pass the startup test (that stresses the battery system briefly) only if they are all fully charged (several hours on charge cycle at 100%).  If they have just come off a discharge cycle, will fail the test.  Sounds likely that you have at least one battery that is "weak".  

Hope this helps

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by harry on APC forums on 8/24/2016

hi mark,

you are right that it is a weak battery that caused the failure. in this case, do i need to change the battery since the self test has passed after two weeks. or is it a symptom that the battery is going bad and i should change it since it is already 3 years, please advice thanks

MarkC_apc
Commander
Commander
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/25/2016

Depends - if your backup is very critical (industrial data) - replace all batteries with new.  If it is personal use and you can learn how to calibrate and load test the batteries on a periodic basis - find the weak battery and replace it.  You might get another year or two from the remaining batteries.  I do this frequently - especially on these units as the batteries are easy to access and replace.  On the SMX units - no so much!!  Learn battery handling safety - no rings and use the thin neoprene gloves.