Posted: 2021-12-02 01:39 PM
So we just got in a couple of new APC devices to restore some aging units in our environment. However, both a 3kva UPS (SRT3000RMXLT-NC ) and a pair of brand new AP8841 PDUs both have exhibited this behavior when configuring the management card embedded in them.
You use the default credentials, you set new username/password credentials on the card via the web UI, you save the configuration. You then proceed to change the IP configuration from DHCP to STATIC, you save/reboot the card as the UI suggests and then the management card in both these devices come back online with the new IP address intended but whether you SSH or HTTPS to the management cards on them the credentials set no longer work.
The UPS is in Ireland and I'm stateside now I have to pay a tech to go paper clip the brand new UPS and the PDUs in question are local so they will get paper clipped and we will look into flashing them but I know at least for the PDUs they are running new 6.9.6 code right out of the box, is this newer firmware just bad? Are we doing something wrong here, seem strange that something so basic simply doesnt work across a couple different APC device types.
Posted: 2021-12-02 02:15 PM
I'm trying to replicate this myself, using sumx-7.0.4; can you help me spot what I'm doing different to you?
via these steps I'm unable to reproduce - when the card has rebooted and I login on the new IP, my new password is accepted as expected.
Posted: 2021-12-02 03:09 PM
I just noticed you mentioned changing the username too - when adding a new user, beware that the Enabled box is not checked by default.
Creating an Administrator without enabling it, and then disabling the superuser (apc) account, is the only way I've managed to paint myself into this corner so far. I'd strongly recommend logging in with the administrator account before disabling the apc account to ensure it's correctly configured.
If you've found another path to this, I'd love to hear it. For now .. I need to go find a paperclip ..
Posted: 2021-12-02 03:10 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.
For these configuration attempts we used a web browser (Chrome from Windows 10 PCs) for initial config. Maybe we should be ssh'ing to do this initial setup but using a web browser in the past had worked *shrug* so we gave that a whirl.
Feed it apc/apc
We then set new credentials first by changing the default admin account password from "apc" to "something_new"
We then created a new local admin account not called "apc" called "usadmin", we set the password on this to "something_new".
We then change the IP address assignment settings (also from the WebUI interface) from DHCP to manual, we then hit save, the UI then tells us the card must restart and it presents 3 options, We choose Reset/Reboot.
It's very strange.
I'm waiting on local hands to paper clip the 3000 in Ireland and I'll try again with SSH and log each step. We've gotta be doing something wrong here, I'm just not sure what.
Posted: 2021-12-02 03:13 PM
OK bulb is slowly illuminating Shaun 🙂
Yes, we never leave the default admin account names in place. I bet this is where we moved too fast and didn't hit the box as you mentioned.
Will watch for this, and try again.
Discuss challenges in energy and automation with 30,000+ experts and peers.
Find answers in 10,000+ support articles to help solve your product and business challenges.
Find peer based solutions to your questions. Provide answers for fellow community members!