New in the Community? Get started here

Schneider Electric Exchange Community

Discuss and solve problems in energy management and automation. Join conversations and share insights on products and solutions. Co-innovate and collaborate with a global network of peers.

Register Now
Resource Advisor - Performance Analytics Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying & Managing Baselines on PAM

So after working a "bit" on this with Brian Kohler​, Taner Yildirim​ and Michael Schmitz I thought I'd share the outcome with everyone.

This recipe is part of the Calculated Measurments Cookbook

This is basically a tutorial to display a daily baseline in PAM the shape of:

Estimated Consumption = CDD * m + HDD * n + k

You'll need: the formula for your baseline, adequate permissions on RA to create and edit measurements, data streams and add data through the data entry module.

1. Create the data streams for the baseline

Create some Custom Data Streams for the Baseline “properties”: Base temperatures for degree days, coefficients (m,n) and constant value (k)

Here’s the list of measurements you need to create.

Baseline – HDD Base temp

Baseline – HDD Coefficient

Baseline – CDD Base temp

Baseline – CDD Coefficient

Baseline – Constant Value

Tip: I like to create a tag for the measurements called Baseline, in order for measurements to be easy to locate when you’re adding data and stuff like that

Level: Site

Frequency: Versioned

Visible to external users: yes

Units: None

Unit label: either temp or empty

That takes around 5-10 minutes.

You can now enter the baseline data through the data entry module, using either the manual entry or with an Excel Bulk Upload

ScreenHunter_1481 Jul. 06 17.30.jpg

2.- Create the Baseline measurements for Performance Analytics Module

Name: Baseline

Commodity: Electricity or whatever it is

Output Units: kWh or whatever it is

Agg Method: Sum

Indexing and Alarming as needed (I usually click the 3 of them)

3.- Setting up the expression

You can either use the default expression capability or copy the same expression on the selected sites.

Here’s the thing: right now I still have to use different formulas depending on if I’m using one, two or more baselines (i.e: workdays and weekends, etc.)

Here are the formulas:

For 1 baseline

(((IF([ \] [Weather:TEMPERATURE] [°C]>SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - CDD Base temp)}), [ \] [Weather:TEMPERATURE] [°C]-SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - CDD Base temp)}),0)*SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - CDD Coefficient)})+SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - Constant Value)})+IF([ \] [Weather:TEMPERATURE] [°C]>SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - HDD Base temp)}),0,SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - HDD Base temp)})- [ \] [Weather:TEMPERATURE] [°C])*(SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - HDD Coefficient)})))))

For 2 baselines split by calendar

(((IF([ \] [Weather:TEMPERATURE] [°C]  >SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - CDD Base temp)}), [ \] [Weather:TEMPERATURE] [°C] -SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - CDD Base temp)}),0)*SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - CDD Coefficient)})+SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - Constant Value)})+IF([ \] [Weather:TEMPERATURE] [°C]  >SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - HDD Base temp)}),0,SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - HDD Base temp)})- [ \] [Weather:TEMPERATURE] [°C] )*(SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline - HDD Coefficient)}))))*{SiteSchedule(Day, España - Laborables y festivos, Laborable:1, Festivo:0)})+(((IF([ \] [Weather:TEMPERATURE] [°C]  >SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline 2 - CDD Base temp)}), [ \] [Weather:TEMPERATURE] [°C] -SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline 2 - CDD Base temp)}),0)*SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline 2 - CDD Coefficient)})+SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline 2 – Constant Value)})+IF([ \] [Weather:TEMPERATURE] [°C]  >SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline 2 - HDD Base temp)}),0,SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline 2 - HDD Base temp)})- [ \] [Weather:TEMPERATURE] [°C] )*(SUM PER DAY({RAMetric(Baseline 2 - HDD Coefficient)}))))*{SiteSchedule(Day, España - Laborables y festivos, Laborable:0, Festivo:1)})

The expressions might need some tweaking to fit your system, like you'd need to adapt the calendar name, but it should be pretty much plug&play or in this case, copy paste .

and then here you have your baseline (in that wonderful yellow line) ready to be followed up

ScreenHunter_1480 Jul. 06 17.25.jpg

After that you can get a bit fancier and create more measurements, like calculate the savings (baseline - real consumption), the savings % (savings/baseline), baseline upper and lower precision bands, etc.

And I guess that's more or less it,

hope it helps!

Important: it's critical to use the same data sources both when calculating the baseline (doing the regression analysis) and evaluating the site consumption. As an example, we shouldn't use temperature data from (let's say) Weather Underground* for calculating the regression and then use weather data from PAM when displaying the baseline. There's going to be an error there. Same way, we need to be careful if we use utility data for calculating, and after metered data for the follow-up. The thing is, when you start evaluating consumption and calculating savings the errors accumulate, and they can make a huge impact. I know it sounds obvious, but it's important to double check.

*please note that we should never use data from Weather Underground or any other website/service that does not allow for a Commercial use of their data unless we have an agreement with them.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Lt. Commander

Re: Displaying & Managing Baselines on PAM

Great work documenting the various conversations we've had on the subject, and glad to see that it was eventually doable.  The use of RA Metrics is really helpful to make the management of site level properties easier, especially when you have different coefficient values for each.

I did want to make a comment with respect to the use of "Versioned" values as it has gotten me before.  It is important to note that a "Versioned" value is referenced for the entire month.  Meaning, if you input a versioned number with a start date of 1/1/2017, and then adjust the constant value of the baseline (maybe because of a lighting or other energy project), and put it as a date of 6/15/2017, the ENTIRE month of June will use the same coefficient.  Currently, PAM does not read the specific date, but rather the month that it is associated with so it is not hypersensitive to time.  In this vain, when reviewing the performance of the project in the first month, it might not be exactly what you want.

Despite this gotcha, it is an important milestone in documenting how to implement baselines in RA on interval data.

Another neat idea about data entry module, you could setup a Data Entry Reminder to go input the values on a regular schedule.  You could also use this if you have a driver variable in your baseline equation that is coming from the customer on a monthly basis (like production, or occupancy).

Lieutenant

Very nice work Adria, thanks for sharing!

To create your baselines, am I right that you need to download the weather data for your baseline period, create your own HDD/CDD numbers using the same formula and then upload back into the index?

What tool are you using to take the data and do multivariate regression analysis?

Also, I assume the point of having them as RA indexes is purely for tweaks at later dates right?

Thanks!

Hi Kim,

to get the baseline formula, you need indeed to first download the weather data, use whichever regression tool you have in hand (I'd recommend using EnPI tool since I think everyone has access to it, but at the end of the day there's no standard tool and it depends on the consultant) and get the formula. It is important to always use the same weather data source for both creating the baseline and evaluation after (now that you've mentioned it, I'll make an edit on the publication for that).

Once I get the specific base temperature for a building, there's two options:

a) Modify the HDD/CDD base temperature within RA's weather administration menu.

b) Calculate the HDD/CDD using measurements in PAM.

Using option b) allows

1.- to keep a single base temperature for calculation HDD/CDD that can be used for comparing sites (all sites compared to a single base temp, that can be used ie for rankings) and have also a custom degree days for specific site behavior (one site compared to itself - baseline)

2.- Higher precision, since you can use the value you want/need

3.- Since the base temperature is referenced to a RA index, I can change the value over time, instead of using a fixed value

I hope to have answered your questions !

Lt. Commander

Option B!  Much more flexibility!