This question was originally posted on DCIM Support by Mate Fekete on 2016-10-19
I found some strange thing regarding the search feature.
In web client I search for a complete keyword (like serial number) it is working fine. But if I search only a part of the looking information it will not show any result. For instance: equipment has serial number with SN12345678. If I search for 345 or 5678 there is no any result. It is not the only situation with serial number because I tested with device name as well and had the same problem, so it is possible a general search issue.
If I do search in windows client with an existing data from a device it will not show any result because the room where the device is located is not opened. In 7.5 SP4 version it worked and listed all the devices which are not in opened rooms: it was listed in greyed out if the rooms was not open. I can see that from version 8 it was deprecated in windows client but in this way to find a device location will be very tough.
Is it possible to solve these issues?
This answer was originally posted on DCIM Support by Jef Faridi on 2016-10-19
Many thanks for our off-line talks today, As we discussed during the meting, the complexity of web client search (as you've described) has been acknowledged and it would make sense to improve it (will create an enhancement report on this). And for the desk top client, you are right, from version 8.x the equipment browser "search" feature is limited to open room(s).
This comment was originally posted on DCIM Support by James on 2016-10-19
I'd echo the comments made. Would be nice to see a more comprehensive documentation around the web search and the use of wildcards.
This comment was originally posted on DCIM Support by Mate Fekete on 2016-10-19
Thanks the chance for the meeting. I am always open to that.
Thanks to the hungarian Schneider engineer who found it: asterix * is working as a wild card in search field which is good.
Is there anyway to turn back the search method like it was in version 7? Let me give you an example:
There is a user who knows the device name or serial number and would like to find it in the desktop client. Pure guy have to open all the rooms in DCO to perform that search. Imagine what will happen if your Schneider customer have 50-60 server/storage rooms... It will take a while to opening all the rooms and DCO client will have huge memory consumption on the desktop client only just for finding the searched device(s).
Of course an alternative solution can be to find the device on the web client and than go back to desktop client but in this case we can not say that desktop client has full feature set because of this deprecated search method.
This answer was originally posted on DCIM Support by Mate Fekete on 2016-10-25
Another findings related to search:
Using VMware vCenter integration I am able to find virtual machine "location" in desktop client.
Unfortunately in web client it doesn't show anything.
This comment was originally posted on DCIM Support by Pernille Bagger Nielsen on 2016-10-25
Accommodating James' request for more extensive documentation on web client search and wildcards, QA and I have been testing today as well. This documentation page has been updated: Searching the inventory. Unexpected wildcard behavior has been logged in a separate bug report.
Discuss challenges in energy and automation with 30,000+ experts and peers.
Find answers in 10,000+ support articles to help solve your product and business challenges.
Find peer based solutions to your questions. Provide answers for fellow community members!