TAC Vista SQL maintenance repeatedly fails. Not just once or twice, but on every attempt.
Microsoft Management Studio View of error
Vista Workstation view of error
TAC Vista 5.1.7 or newer.
The SQL maintenance feature was added to Vista in version 5.1.7, to regularly database defragment the database and prevent the follow-on effects of a fragmented database. This scheduled maintenance can fail for a number of reasons.
Start by taking a DSS writer server log using TACOS Tweak. Follow the steps below to do this.
- Goto the TAC Vista installation folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Schneider Electric\TAC Vista 5.1.9 by default on 64-bit machines).
- Locate TacosTweak and double-click on it.
- Click on the "Category" drop-down box and select "DSS (Registry)".
- Locate the "DSS Server - Log Level" entry and increase the log level to "7" by entering the value in the value field and clicking the "Set" button.
- Locate the "DSS Server - Log file" entry and chose an appropriate path.
- Launch "TAC Vista Server Setup" and go to the SQL maintenance tab.
- Locate the "Run SQL Maintenance now" checkbox and check it. Click on "OK" or "Apply".
- Locate the DSS server log file and open it with a text viewer/editor.
- Search the log file for the following text "Maintenance Task - Starting" and check that the date time stamp is approximately when the "Run SQL Maintenance now" button was pressed.
- Examine the file carefully and follow the file line for line from this point until you reach "[ERROR] Fatal error : SQL Exception : Incorrect syntax near '('.
NOTE: Contact Product Support Services if you are unable to interpret the log file or see another type of error than that described above.
Once confirmed, launch Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and follow the steps below:
- Locate the "taclogdata" database. Right-click on it and select "Properties"
- Locate the "Options" tab and set the compatibilty level to SQL 2008 (or SQL 2005 if that is the installed version).
Don't forget to set the DSS Server log level back to "5"!
A tool to simplify this process can be found here. Please note that this is not an official Schneider Electric utility.