The Smart Card Reader Installation Manual cable specification does not specifically state which connection type the specified cables are for.
- Security Expert Smart Card Readers
The four multi-conductor cable specifications mentioned in the Smart Card Reader Installation Manual are the approved cables for Wiegand connections only. There is no mention of the RS-485 cable specification in this document.
Smart Card Reader Wiegand Cable
The cable specifications are:
Smart Card Reader RS-485 Cable
The cable specification for RS-485 connections (including when those connections are encrypted) is not in the Smart Card Reader Installation Manual but does show up in the SP-C Manual under the "Module Wiring" heading. These same cable specifications apply to Smart Card Reader RS-485 cables as well.
- Belden 9842 or equivalent
- 24 AWG twisted pair with characteristic impedance of 120ohm
- Maximum total length of cable is max 900m (3000ft)
- CAT5e / CAT6 are also supported for data transmission when using ground in the same cable (to a maximum length 100m (328ft))