Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
80877members
346982posts

hot and neutral reversed when inverting

Solved
Michaelg_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

hot and neutral reversed when inverting

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/26/2009

I have a ES 350 that never did work very well. I just discovered that when it is inverting the hot and neutral lines are reversed. Is there a fix for this?

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: hot and neutral reversed when inverting

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 5/26/2009

are you using a true RMS meter? what is the voltmeter model?

a non true RMS meter will read anywhere from 80-90v on battery because the UPS outputs a step approximated sinewave. with a non true RMS voltmeter, it will have problems taking samples from the step in the sinewave and give you an inaccurate reading.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
Michaelg_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 5/26/2009

I will have to assume that my unit is not working. On battery I read about 30-40 VAC from either hot or neutral to ground. With about 85 VAC between them.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

how do you know this is happening? is this while the UPS is online or on battery?

when this UPS is on battery, you will see around the following voltages, which is normal:

H-G: ~115v
H-N: ~50-60v
N-G: ~50-60v

This is due to a [floating neutral|http://emea-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/emea_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2946] since the UPS isolates itself from the wall outlet.

While online, you should see more normal voltages such as:

H-G: ~120v (or whatever your wall outlet voltage is)
H-N: ~120v (or whatever your wall outlet voltage is)
N-G: 0v

just want to make sure the voltage you are seeing is due to the notes above but if not, let me know.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

are you using a true RMS meter? what is the voltmeter model?

a non true RMS meter will read anywhere from 80-90v on battery because the UPS outputs a step approximated sinewave. with a non true RMS voltmeter, it will have problems taking samples from the step in the sinewave and give you an inaccurate reading.