Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
79276members
343946posts

help me buy power protection equipment

Solved
jackedup_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/2/2010

I was reading many posts about power protection. I need help from a professional. I am confused and would like to see if you guys have any advice. You guys seem like a no-nonsense kind of guys and reading your posts can tell you know your stuff.

My head is spinning from reading all the threads on AVS about power protection...

So anyways, we have a whole house AV system, but all the equipment is located in the basement on some Home Depot shelving now (I will order some real server cabinets soon). I am trying to figure out what to do for my electrical!!

I put a spreadsheet containing all the equipment here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70589/MillerIPplan.xls

Would you mind taking a look and letting me know which electrical protection/conditioning equipment you recommend?

What kind of "whole house" protection to install?

Any kind of grounding wiring you think is needed?

How many 20 amp circuits should I install in the headend?

What kind of rack mouted protection/conditioning equipment should I put in the headend?

About our house, we live in the suburbs. We occasionally have power strikes and surges. One time we had a power surge that destroyed our DSL modem as well as some ethernet NICs on several computers.

Since nearly everything in this system is connected, I want to get some effective protection in place.

Please provide all the exact model numbers of exactly I should buy. I need a "shopping list" of parts so I can buy it easily. I have a budget of a couple thousand dollars.

Thanks alot! Happy New Year

Accepted Solutions
jackedup_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

I was reading many posts about power protection. I need help from a professional. I am confused and would like to see if you guys have any advice. You guys seem like a no-nonsense kind of guys and reading your posts can tell you know your stuff.

My head is spinning from reading all the threads on AVS about power protection...

So anyways, we have a whole house AV system, but all the equipment is located in the basement on some Home Depot shelving now (I will order some real server cabinets soon). I am trying to figure out what to do for my electrical!!

Would you mind taking a look and letting me know which electrical protection/conditioning equipment you recommend?

What kind of rack mouted protection/conditioning equipment should I put in the headend?

About our house, we live in the suburbs. We occasionally have power strikes and surges. One time we had a power surge that destroyed our DSL modem as well as some ethernet NICs on several computers.

Since nearly everything in this system is connected, I want to get some effective protection in place.

Please provide all the exact model numbers of exactly I should buy. I need a "shopping list" of parts so I can buy it easily. I have a budget of a couple thousand dollars.

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
jackedup_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes