Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
79189members
343723posts

Power surge hit now everything works except HP tower, internet light lit

Solved
Kayla111_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

Power surge hit now everything works except HP tower, internet light lit

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/14/2008

We had a power surge and now everything works but the computer won't turn on but the internet connection light on the back of my HP tower keeps blinking? Any ideas?

Message was edited by: Kayla111

Accepted Solutions
TheNotoriousKMP_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Re: Power surge hit now everything works except HP tower, internet light lit

I've seen this a few times, commonly amongst customers who do not protect "their back door" so to speak. That means that the ethernet cable was run from a router/modem directly into the PC bypassing the surge protection provided by the UPS. That backdoor allows for a surge to come in and cause components to fail within the PC, and it's possible it attacked the power supply. What was the configuration, including all cables, of your setup?

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
TheNotoriousKMP_apc
Sisko
Sisko
0 Likes

Re: Power surge hit now everything works except HP tower, internet light lit

I've seen this a few times, commonly amongst customers who do not protect "their back door" so to speak. That means that the ethernet cable was run from a router/modem directly into the PC bypassing the surge protection provided by the UPS. That backdoor allows for a surge to come in and cause components to fail within the PC, and it's possible it attacked the power supply. What was the configuration, including all cables, of your setup?