Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
80776members
346798posts

My new Back-UPS 1500 smells

Solved
gopated2inc_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

My new Back-UPS 1500 smells

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/1/2015

I purchased a new Back-UPS 1500 to supplement my 6-year-old one, for which I purchased a new battery at the same time. Unfortunately the new unit has a very strong smell. I thought it would perhaps burn off and have had the unit on for about ten days now, but the smell is  as strong as ever.

I never had this problem with the old one, and the new battery is also fine, but the new unit stinks to the point that it is unusable. What can I do?

Tags (2)

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: My new Back-UPS 1500 smells

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 2/2/2015

I agree some "new electronics smell" may be normal the first few days but it shouldn't be bothersome and last for a long time. I'd contact technical support and see if they will provide you with a replacement of further steps that you can do to about the smell (though I can't imagine we can offer anything beyond a replacement).

See Answer In Context

hamadax_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/14/2016

I also have a similar experience here. I purchased 1500 XS from OfficeMax and out of the box it had a really nasty smell. I plugged it I and the smell is filling up the whole room. I can't describe the smell other than a strong and rather sickening electrical fried circuit board type of smell.. If this smell does not to go away in a couple of days, then it is heading back to the store. My previous model, Xs 1000 did not do that. This model is slightly larger and has a built in fan that kicks in when battery mode is activated.

See Answer In Context

Tags (2)
7 Replies 7
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 2/2/2015

I agree some "new electronics smell" may be normal the first few days but it shouldn't be bothersome and last for a long time. I'd contact technical support and see if they will provide you with a replacement of further steps that you can do to about the smell (though I can't imagine we can offer anything beyond a replacement).

hamadax_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

I also have a similar experience here. I purchased 1500 XS from OfficeMax and out of the box it had a really nasty smell. I plugged it I and the smell is filling up the whole room. I can't describe the smell other than a strong and rather sickening electrical fried circuit board type of smell.. If this smell does not to go away in a couple of days, then it is heading back to the store. My previous model, Xs 1000 did not do that. This model is slightly larger and has a built in fan that kicks in when battery mode is activated.

Tags (2)
hamadax_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

I know this post is quite old... Did this smell ever go away?

gopated2inc_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

No it didn't. We ended up returning the unit. I found that getting a replacement battery for my old unit works just fine, but for some reason the new units have a real stink. I guess it doesn't bother some people. We couldn't live with it. . .

Tags (1)
hamadax_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 2/17/2016

Thanks for the response. Take a look at this post before they delete it smile. Same issue and returned it as well. I am looking for an alternative. This UPS worked great as a mosquito killer, I swear!

http://forums.apc.com/spaces/4/back-ups-surge-protectors/forums/general/12058/apc-ups-br1500va/1#555...

gopated2inc_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Hi, The new link you added doesn't go anywhere so I guess they deleted it!

mitsmith_apc
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
0 Likes

Hi Gopa,

Try clicking the hyperlink below. The post is up.