Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
79268members
343914posts

Modem-like noise in my Back-UPS ES 700VA - Model BE700G-GR

Solved
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Modem-like noise in my Back-UPS ES 700VA - Model BE700G-GR

This question was originally posted by Emilio on APC forums on 8/30/2016

Hi all,

I own an ageing (3.5 years, just out of my 3 years warranty) Back-UPS ES (with european plug). Suddenly it stopped working. Additionally:

• It started emitting an annoying sound similar to that of a cricket, or an old-fashioned modem.
  • The sound remains if I unplug the load.
  • The sound changes to a monotone beep if I unplug the UPS from the wall.
  • The LEDs are all off while the sound exists.
  • If I press the 'On' button for 5 seconds and then release it, the UPS switches off.
  • The problem appears again if I try to turn the UPS on, or if I unplug from the wall and then plug it again. In all the cases, the 'On' LED blinks for some seconds, then it turns off + there is a "switch" click sound + the modem-like sound starts again.
  • I tried the typical cycle (un-plug loads and from the wall, remove battery, press 'On' for 5 seconds, then insert battery again, turn the UPS on) with no success: The 'On' LED blinks, and then the modem-like sound started again.
  • I tried pressing the circuit breaker and also no success.
  • The load is now correctly working plugged to the wall, as it was before buying the UPS 3.5 years ago.
  • The UPS is not working at any time (i.e.: no power output to the load), except during the few seconds when the 'On' LED is blinking.
  • The battery displays >13 V when connected to a voltmeter. However, I am not sure about its capacity: I could not make work any of the car adaptors that I have.

I spent some time looking in the forums for a similar description but did not find any report about the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Best regards,

Emilio

Accepted Solutions
kcds_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: Modem-like noise in my Back-UPS ES 700VA - Model BE700G-GR

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/21/2017

This is very interesting!

I have an ancient (20+ years old) Back-UPS product that I have replaced the battery in several times. It still works great. I don't have the model number handy, and it's awkward to get to right now, but starting just a couple of months ago, my UPS started making occasional bursts of modem-like noise, for maybe half a second at a time, multiple times a day. It was so brief, and happened so randomly, that it took me several weeks to figure out it was the UPS that was making the noise at all. One day, I happened to be very close to the UPS when it made the noise, and that's when I figured out where the noise was coming from.

So, I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I did want to let you know you are not going crazy, and even though it seems to happen under different circumstances to yours, I am experiencing something very similar.

Ken

See Answer In Context

Tags (3)
1 Reply 1
kcds_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: Modem-like noise in my Back-UPS ES 700VA - Model BE700G-GR

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/21/2017

This is very interesting!

I have an ancient (20+ years old) Back-UPS product that I have replaced the battery in several times. It still works great. I don't have the model number handy, and it's awkward to get to right now, but starting just a couple of months ago, my UPS started making occasional bursts of modem-like noise, for maybe half a second at a time, multiple times a day. It was so brief, and happened so randomly, that it took me several weeks to figure out it was the UPS that was making the noise at all. One day, I happened to be very close to the UPS when it made the noise, and that's when I figured out where the noise was coming from.

So, I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I did want to let you know you are not going crazy, and even though it seems to happen under different circumstances to yours, I am experiencing something very similar.

Ken

Tags (3)