Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
79539members
344371posts

ES 550, more than one computer.

Solved
fatherbear_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

ES 550, more than one computer.

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/18/2015

Hi,

Sorry to bother you with this noob question but I have searched and can't find the answer...

I have recently bought my first UPS, a Back-UPS ES 550.

I have setup my NAS to it and it works, but now I want to add my computer and my htpc to it as well but it only comes with one usb cable. Can I use any USB hub or do I need to get another cable of some sort? Or is it possible to control it over the network?

Please help.

Tags (1)

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: ES 550, more than one computer.

This reply was originally posted by Bill on APC forums on 8/18/2015

Hi,

Yes. The computer would need to be on 7/24.

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Hi,

The Back-UPS only supports communicating with 1 device over USB. You can however connect the UPS to a computer. Install APCUPSD on the system and script the software to communicate with the NAS over the network. So, when APCUPSD see that the UPS is on battery it will signal the NAS to power down and then shut the computer down. Here is a link to APCUPSD web site. You should read the user’s guide for instructions.

fatherbear_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 8/18/2015

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Too bad I didn't knew that before I bought it, should have made a better research. 

I will check out APCUPSD but correct me if i'm wrong. I need to run that on a computer and that computer needs to be on 24/7 to be able to send the info over the network right?

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

Hi,

Yes. The computer would need to be on 7/24.