Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
79353members
344045posts

APC UPS ES 550 sparking sound

Solved
sv3nster_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/21/2014

I need help identifying this sound

My APC Back UPS ES 550 is making a horrendous clicking/sparking sound. The power led is flickering green (on). It's drawing 10w of power with nothing connected.

The noise could be coming from the speaker or 12v relay (845HN-2C-B-S). It's hard to distinguish since it's so loud and both components are close to each other. I don't see any damaged capacitors or blown fuses.

What is going on here? See the video for the full effect.

APC UPS ES 550 sparking sound - YouTube

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: APC UPS ES 550 sparking sound

This reply was originally posted by Secret on APC forums on 12/1/2014

Hi sv3nster, The rapid switching of the relay is likely a symptom of a corrupted EEPROM and not that of a faulty relay. I would recommend replacing the unit and forego any repairs. The unit is over 7yrs old and will likely continue to show symptoms of it's age. Best, Secretsquirrel

See Answer In Context

4 Replies 4
sv3nster_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/21/2014

I need help identifying this sound

My APC Back UPS ES 550 is making a horrendous clicking/sparking sound. The power led is flickering green (on). It's drawing 10w of power with nothing connected.

The noise could be coming from the speaker or 12v relay (845HN-2C-B-S). It's hard to distinguish since it's so loud and both components are close to each other. I don't see any damaged capacitors or blown fuses.

What is going on here? See the video for the full effect.

APC UPS ES 550 sparking sound - YouTube

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Secret on APC forums on 11/21/2014

Hi sv3vster, I think the sound we're hearing in the video is that of a relay chattering between contacts. This is obviously not a normal condition. The rate at which it's changing states, would lead me to believe that we have a failure of the unit's intelligence. Can you please provide the exact model and serial number of the unit so I may make a recommendation? Thank you! Secretsquirrel

sv3nster_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 11/24/2014

Turns out it's a bit more difficult than expected to locate that defunct part. It is a double pole double throw (2NO/2NC) 12V 8A relay. I may have found a suitable drop in replacement. According to the data sheet, some of the pins are only off by a small margin. Please let me know your thoughts:

Part No: HF115F-012-2ZS4

(or older equivalent JQX-115F-012-2ZS4)

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Secret on APC forums on 12/1/2014

Hi sv3nster, The rapid switching of the relay is likely a symptom of a corrupted EEPROM and not that of a faulty relay. I would recommend replacing the unit and forego any repairs. The unit is over 7yrs old and will likely continue to show symptoms of it's age. Best, Secretsquirrel