Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
80979members
347158posts

couple questions. Just got my 3000XL.

Solved
jrs91_apc
Cadet
0 Likes

couple questions. Just got my 3000XL.

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/7/2009

I was reading the forum and I read about some guy whose Dell switches off when he loses power and the UPS is switching to battery. I have 3 Dell poweredge servers with dual power supplies. I have a 1950, a 2950, and a 2900. The 2900 runs iscsi so that thread made me a little nervous. A few weeks ago 3 of my servers turned off when the AC in the server room turned on. The lights flashed on and off for a split-second and some servers turned off and others stayed on. The 2900 that is filled with SAS disks running iSCSI for all my virtual machines was one of the servers that went off.

My question is, does it make any difference whether I use a Y-cord to plug both PSUs into the same socket on the UPS? Or should I use 2 separate power cords? Similarly, is there a down side to running a power bar from one of the UPS sockets?

Third, I'm designing the new cable layout for the server room (investing in some cable management to get it under control). I as of yet do not have my 30 amp circuit installed for the UPS. It's like 3 weeks behind schedule because the building is waiting on a part so I can't get in to configure PowerChute yet. I'm wondering if i can shut down individual sockets and leave others up to maximize battery when the power goes out? On the same note, if i use separate sockets for the servers with dual power supplies, i could shut one of them down early and save some battery...

Thanks.

Message was edited by: jrs91

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: couple questions. Just got my 3000XL.

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 1/8/2009

hi

to begin, do you have an SUA3000XL or an SUM3000RMXL3U?

i am going to assume that it is an SUA3000XL at this point.

My question is, does it make any difference whether I use a Y-cord to plug both PSUs into the same socket on the UPS? Or should I use 2 separate power cords?
The only thing you need to worry about is not overloading the UPS/outlets and their respective circuit breakers per the labels on the back. Just a note which I think you already know - I mean plugging the redundant PSUs into the same UPS isnt 100% redundant in a power outage but of course it is if the actual hardware fails and the PSU craps out.
Similarly, is there a down side to running a power bar from one of the UPS sockets?
You can do this as well but still need to be aware of the UPS VA/Watt rating as well as the outlet and breaker ratings of the particular banks on the UPS. Also, make sure you use a [power distribution unit|http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=6&subid=48] rather than a random "power bar" or surge protector type of thing since the PDUs distribute power evently, etc

Third, I'm designing the new cable layout for the server room (investing in some cable management to get it under control). I as of yet do not have my 30 amp circuit installed for the UPS. It's like 3 weeks behind schedule because the building is waiting on a part so I can't get in to configure PowerChute yet. I'm wondering if i can shut down individual sockets and leave others up to maximize battery when the power goes out? On the same note, if i use separate sockets for the servers with dual power supplies, i could shut one of them down early and save some battery...
On the SUA3000XL, there is no functionality to shutdown individual outlets on the UPS itself. You can only do this on a Switched Rack PDU which is visible on the link for the Power Distribution units above. You are able to log into the PDU itself, aside from the UPS, and control individual outlets. If you randomly have the SUM3000RMXL3U UPS, this unit comes with outlet banks which you CAN individually power off and load shed through the network management card that ships with it.

let us know if you have any other questions! hope this helps!

See Answer In Context

1 Reply 1
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: couple questions. Just got my 3000XL.

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 1/8/2009

hi

to begin, do you have an SUA3000XL or an SUM3000RMXL3U?

i am going to assume that it is an SUA3000XL at this point.

My question is, does it make any difference whether I use a Y-cord to plug both PSUs into the same socket on the UPS? Or should I use 2 separate power cords?
The only thing you need to worry about is not overloading the UPS/outlets and their respective circuit breakers per the labels on the back. Just a note which I think you already know - I mean plugging the redundant PSUs into the same UPS isnt 100% redundant in a power outage but of course it is if the actual hardware fails and the PSU craps out.
Similarly, is there a down side to running a power bar from one of the UPS sockets?
You can do this as well but still need to be aware of the UPS VA/Watt rating as well as the outlet and breaker ratings of the particular banks on the UPS. Also, make sure you use a [power distribution unit|http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=6&subid=48] rather than a random "power bar" or surge protector type of thing since the PDUs distribute power evently, etc

On the SUA3000XL, there is no functionality to shutdown individual outlets on the UPS itself. You can only do this on a Switched Rack PDU which is visible on the link for the Power Distribution units above. You are able to log into the PDU itself, aside from the UPS, and control individual outlets. If you randomly have the SUM3000RMXL3U UPS, this unit comes with outlet banks which you CAN individually power off and load shed through the network management card that ships with it.

let us know if you have any other questions! hope this helps!