Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
79139members
343563posts

Smart-UPS 1500 shorting help!

Solved
Slacker_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Smart-UPS 1500 shorting help!

This was originally posted on APC forums on 7/4/2015

Hello!

I've got an Smart-UPS 1500 that has worked fine for several years, until now. I went on vacation and it was working fine, when I came back my server room smelled like acid, the batteries were hot and the UPS was beeping that the batteries are dead. I disconnected everything immediately... I went out and bought new batteries and tried to connect it back up. When I connect the batteries I get an short and sparks fly. If I measure the black and red wires with my multimeter set on beep, it does not beep.
What's wrong? Why has it shorted out and is there any way to fix it? Pictures can be added on the circuit board etc if it helps...
Thanks a lot!

Accepted Solutions
Slacker_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

Re: Smart-UPS 1500 shorting help!

No, they aren't. I'm suspecting the HRF3205 MOSFET's are damaged and I might try to replace them. The UPS does not short out when I connect it to the mains, but when I connect the battery sparks fly.

See Answer In Context

2 Replies 2
voidstar_apc
Janeway
Janeway
0 Likes

If you set your multimeter to test continuity and it does not beep, it sounds like the wires are not shorted out.
Slacker_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

No, they aren't. I'm suspecting the HRF3205 MOSFET's are damaged and I might try to replace them. The UPS does not short out when I connect it to the mains, but when I connect the battery sparks fly.