Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
79277members
343948posts

PowerChute Network Shutdown version to use

Solved
jrmvt_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

PowerChute Network Shutdown version to use

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/28/2014

I have a quick question on which version of PCNS I should download.  I've seen the compatibility list.  I have a VMware ESXi 5.1 server which is compatible with PCNS 3.1.  I will be running the PCNS in the VMa 5.1 guest on this host.

My concern is that one of the Guest machines on the Host is a Windows SBS 2011 Server, which the compatibility list recommends to use PCNS 3.0.1 with.

Since PCNS will actually be running on the VMa 5.1 guest, am I OK using PCNS 3.1?  Will it cause any problems trying to shut down the SBS 2011 server on power loss?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: PowerChute Network Shutdown version to use

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 1/28/2014

The ESXi host will be doing the shutting down of the VMs, right? For what you plan to configurr? That is what most users do rather than installing PCNS on each VM. So, after the VMA issues the RCLI command to turn the host off, the SBS 2011 server would shutdown like if ESXi commanded it to upon your request manually. You should only need to worry about PCNS on the VMA and that compatibility there - which you already verified. smile

Bill P.  - I didn't miss anything did I?

See Answer In Context

3 Replies 3
BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 1/28/2014

The ESXi host will be doing the shutting down of the VMs, right? For what you plan to configurr? That is what most users do rather than installing PCNS on each VM. So, after the VMA issues the RCLI command to turn the host off, the SBS 2011 server would shutdown like if ESXi commanded it to upon your request manually. You should only need to worry about PCNS on the VMA and that compatibility there - which you already verified. smile

Bill P.  - I didn't miss anything did I?

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Anonymous on APC forums on 1/29/2014

Hello,

Just an added note. As of PCNS 3.1, we have a virtual appliance available for download. This would be easier to deploy than the VMA, as you have to download VMA and then install PCNS on that VMA. If you search for the code SFPCNS31-V, you can download the virtual appliance. To gracefully shutdown the VM's, you need to make sure that VMWare tools is installed on each virtual machine.

Regards,

B

jrmvt_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 1/31/2014

Thanks for the great information.  Sorry I can't mark both as correct!  I will give that virtual appliance a try.