Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
79193members
343731posts

No more serial port - and now?

Solved
Photogregor_apc
Crewman
Crewman
0 Likes

No more serial port - and now?

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/9/2016

Hi,

on our new server there is no more serial port. How can I monitor UPS now? Hope you don't tell me to buy one of these network management cards for more then 300 Euros. My client will kill me.

Thanks for a hint,

Karl

Accepted Solutions
BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

Re: No more serial port - and now?

This reply was originally posted by Bertil on APC forums on 4/12/2016

Cheapo USB to seral port adapters exist.  We use this one and it as yet to let me down on communicating with any APC kit we have:

http://www.netstoredirect.com/tripp-lite-interface-cards-adapters/6303-tripp-lite-usa-19hs-067260300...

Shop around, though, this is "expensive" - I think we paid about £20 for ours.

HTH

See Answer In Context

Tags (2)
2 Replies 2
UnexpectedBill_apc
Captain
Captain
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/9/2016

An inexpensive USB to serial adapter could probably be used. There are also inexpensive PCI and PCI Express expansion cards that provide serial and parallel ports.

Unless the UPS is very old, it may have a USB port available for monitoring purposes.

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Bertil on APC forums on 4/12/2016

Cheapo USB to seral port adapters exist.  We use this one and it as yet to let me down on communicating with any APC kit we have:

http://www.netstoredirect.com/tripp-lite-interface-cards-adapters/6303-tripp-lite-usa-19hs-067260300...

Shop around, though, this is "expensive" - I think we paid about £20 for ours.

HTH

Tags (2)