Invite a Co-worker
Send a co-worker an invite to the Exchange portal.Just enter their email address and we’ll connect them to register. After joining, they will belong to the same company.
Send Invite Cancel
79153members
343608posts

How to schedule shutdown/restart the UPS by telnet command line (by using AP9630 Network Management card 2)

Solved
mybox65_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

How to schedule shutdown/restart the UPS by telnet command line (by using AP9630 Network Management card 2)

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/19/2013

Hi

I would like to schedule a specific time to shutdown the UPS and schedule a specific time to restart the UPS by telnet .  for example I want to schedule to shutdown the ups in 8 hours and restart it in 12 hours.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Accepted Solutions
mybox65_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: How to schedule shutdown/restart the UPS by telnet command line (by using AP9630 Network Management card 2)

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/8/2014

We bought around 280 pieces of 9630 card (v,5.1.7)  and around 30 piece of 9617 (v.3.6.1 ).  sounds all of them are blue web interface

See Answer In Context

12 Replies 12
mybox65_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

Re: How to schedule shutdown/restart the UPS by telnet command line (by using AP9630 Network Management card 2)

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/7/2014

Hi Angela,

Could you please give me an example by using CLI to schedule shutdown the UPS and turn the UPS back in 10 hours by using 9630 card? 

Many Thanks

BillP
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 4/8/2014

AP9630 is our current platform. AP9617 has been discontinued for about 5 years now...

AP9617 will be easier - it has a menu driven command line interface. You'd need to go to the Device Manger Menu, select your UPS, and within there, you'd be able to Control the UPS and set a sleep time by reviewing the options on the screen.

v5.1.7 on AP9630 you need to look at the commands I mentioned...

Usage: cfgshutdn  -- Configure UPS shutdown parameters

cfgshutdn [-all] (Show all applicable shutdown parameters for this UPS)

[-sd <000 | 090 | 180 | 270 | 360 | 450 | 540 | 630>] (Shutdown Delay, in seconds)

[-lo <02 | 05 | 08 | 11 | 14 | 17 | 20 | 23>] (Low Battery Duration, in minutes)

[-rd <000 | 060 | 120 | 180 | 240 | 300 | 360 | 420>] (Return Delay, in seconds)

[-rsc <00 | 15 | 30 | 45 | 60 | 75 | 90>] (Minimum Return State of Charge, in percent)

[-sl <0.0 to 359.9>] (Sleep Time, in hours)

Usage: ups  -- Initiate UPS Control

ups [-c ]

[-r ] (UPS Runtime Calibration)

[-s Start] (UPS Selftest)

[-st] (UPS Status)

[-a Start] (Test UPS short alarm)

So you'd do something like cfgshutdn -sl 10.0 I think to set the sleep time then ups -c GraceSleep to tell it to gracefully go to sleep when you're ready and it'd observe the 10 hour time you have set and do a graceful sleep assuming you have PowerChute clients you would like to shutdown gracefully prior to the sleep action.

mybox65_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/25/2013

Thank you very much for your answer.   To prevent the high current overshoot from AC source (wall-jacket), I just need follow my former colleague what he does.   Every time, he physically come on site and pressing the button until the UPS (smart 3000) shutdown and he will come back again to restart the UPS by pressing the button, he never unplug/disconnect the power cable from AC source.     What I want do is just doing the same thing,  but remotely.      Can I using “grace sleep” to instead physically come on site to press button ?  What is different affection to the ups and ups battery between sleep and shutdown  (by command)?

Thanks a lot for you help

mybox65_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/26/2013

I really really appreciate it if you can answer above question at you convenience  !!     smile        By the way , does the  UPS smart 3000XL compatibly with AP9630 ?

mybox65_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/14/2014

Thanks a lot , That is really  useful !   But can I disable the alarm that automate inform me when I try to schedule sleep and reboot time by command line.       The alarm  is as below:

Critical Alarm 1 Critical Alarm Present

Graceful Shutdown Initiated

Thanks again

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 4/14/2014

Disable it how? You won't be able to hide it from the interface but you can likely disable any notifications like SNMP and email.

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 5/2/2013

Sorry, I have been on vacation. If you do a graceful sleep, then yes, this is the same thing your collegue is doing. If AC power is present and you turn the UPS off and don't braindead it (remove AC power and hold down off button to discharge capacitors), then it is in sleep mode. The thing is with either method, someone needs to interact with the UPS to get it to come back on besides in the management card if you set the sleep time in hours. Since your UPS won't be braindead, you'll have access the whole time during this via the AP9630.

Most older Smart UPS beginning with SU, SUM, SUA, SURT, SURTA, and SURT work with AP9630 so a Smart UPS 3000XL of any type will.

mybox65_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/19/2013

Hi

I would like to schedule a specific time to shutdown the UPS and schedule a specific time to restart the UPS by telnet .  for example I want to schedule to shutdown the ups in 8 hours and restart it in 12 hours.

Thanks a lot for any help!

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 4/19/2013

I am only seeing Schedule an action via the web UI under UPS-> Scheduling.

You could do it manually with separate commands though (or by making a script) using the cfgshutdn command and specify the sleep time, in hours, along with ups command to tell it to go to sleep.

Usage: cfgshutdn  -- Configure UPS shutdown parameters

cfgshutdn [-all] (Show all applicable shutdown parameters for this UPS)

[-sd <000 | 090 | 180 | 270 | 360 | 450 | 540 | 630>] (Shutdown Delay, in seconds)

[-lo <02 | 05 | 08 | 11 | 14 | 17 | 20 | 23>] (Low Battery Duration, in minutes)

[-rd <000 | 060 | 120 | 180 | 240 | 300 | 360 | 420>] (Return Delay, in seconds)

[-rsc <00 | 15 | 30 | 45 | 60 | 75 | 90>] (Minimum Return State of Charge, in percent)

[-sl <0.0 to 359.9>] (Sleep Time, in hours)

Usage: ups  -- Initiate UPS Control

ups [-c ]

[-r ] (UPS Runtime Calibration)

[-s Start] (UPS Selftest)

[-st] (UPS Status)

[-a Start] (Test UPS short alarm)

mybox65_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/22/2013

Hi,

I still have 3 questions about the UPS,  Could you please help me to answer it at your convenience?

The reason that we are going to schedule shutdown & schedule restart the UPS is we want to protect the UPS self and connected PC from a high current overshoot when the remote building power on back from an electric problem.

1. By my understanding , the UPS can protect itself from high current overshoot from its AC source (wall-jacket)  and the UPS can ensure a high quality electrical supply to devices.    Am I understanding this right ?

2. I do not understand what the "sleep mode" is , and what different between "sleep mode" and  "manually shutdown" is.   During the sleep period, does the UPS continuity get charging from AC source?

3. What different between using Command line (ups -c gracesleep or sleep) and the Web UI (under UPS-> Scheduling-> One-time Shutdown->Shutdown On/turn back on ) ?

Thanks a lot for your help !!

BillP
Administrator
0 Likes

This reply was originally posted by Angela on APC forums on 4/22/2013

1. The UPS has surge protection if that is what we are talking about here. To avoid any issues whatsoever, if it were me I would completely disconnect it from the wall outlet if you have the chance. But if this happened and you had no idea, the UPS is designed to provide surge protection or go to battery power to prevent issues like this and disconnect itself from AC power. High current would most likely cause an undervoltage and also cause the UPS go to battery.
  2. Sleep mode is when the UPS is "sleeping" and waiting for the sleep time duration to expire. As long as AC power is still there, yes, the UPS will trickle charge but its output will be off and the UPS electronics, including the management card will still be on. If you want to avoid this as well, you need to either trip the upstream breaker or input breaker (if your UPS is large enough and has one) so then your UPS will braindead itself but if the AP9630 is braindead, then it cannot be accessible to command the UPS back on remotely.
  3. Command line off commands rely on something external (script, you logging in, etc) to execute the commands. The scheduling feature we offer is a configuration setting you can set and it will store the commands an issue them for you at the date and time you specify. So basically, it is an event you can schedule strictly via the mangement card rather than you writing a script or having to log in. Just another option for users to automate commands who do not have CLI or scripting knowledge and cannot manually do the command when the time comes.

mybox65_apc
Ensign
Ensign
0 Likes

This was originally posted on APC forums on 4/8/2014

We bought around 280 pieces of 9630 card (v,5.1.7)  and around 30 piece of 9617 (v.3.6.1 ).  sounds all of them are blue web interface